Lockdown has been tough on all of us. It has been especially tough on our hair. With hair salons now closed throughout the UK for over 2 months, it’s no surprise people have resorted to drastic measures to tame those locks. We urge you not to do this though! With salon reopenings so close, we have put together a list of some stylish lockdown hairstyles and hair care tips that will see you through the last couple of weeks until you can visit the salon again!
Looking after your hair in lockdown
Looking after your hair is important anyway if you want it to remain strong, glossy and healthy however, looking after your hair in lockdown is essential. While we are unable to visit the salon, we must do everything we can to keep our hair healthy and keep it looking better for longer! So what are our hair care tips for lockdown?
- No Heat – whilst we are stuck at home, now is the perfect time to go heat-free! Heat is a massive source of damage to our hair, even if heat protection is used. Going heat-free can help your hair to recover, reducing frizz, enhancing shine and keeping it healthy and strong for longer.
- Use the Right Hair Care Products – a lot of shampoos and other hair care products that can be bought off the shelf are actually not as good for your hair as you may think. Many shampoos and conditioners contain sulfates; sulfates strip the moisture from your hair leaving it dry and brittle. By using sulfate-free hair care products such as the Neal and Wolf range of hair care products used in the salon, you can help to protect your hair. By doing this breakages are reduced and the need for frequent haircuts lessened.
- Deep Conditioning – deep conditioning treatments can be a great way to restore moisture to your hair if it is feeling dry. Moisturised hair also looks less frizzy and will, therefore, help to mask the need for a haircut. If you wear hair extensions however, you should note that conditioning treatments should not be applied near the extension bonds as this can cause slippage.
Now you know how to revitalise your hair during lockdown and keep it looking healthy for longer, it’s time for styling! Styling your hair can be a great way to mask any potential hair issues such as split ends or roots, helping you feel put together and confident until you can make it back to the salon.
- The Messy Bun – a firm favourite by many in lockdown. The messy bun is not only chic but it is also great for hiding split ends and roots. While the messy style distracts from any flyaway hairs and broken ends, with strategic placement it can also mask unintentional roots. Simply place the bun on the point at which the root colour changes creating a root Vs bun colour contrast that looks intentional.
- Braids – Donned all summer at festivals to mask messy, untamed hair, braids are arguably one of the best lockdown hairstyles. After all, the messier your hair is often the better the look of the braid! Braids are also great in terms of variation. Whether you opt for french, dutch, or fishtail braids you have the option to change it up while still looking great.
- Heatless Curls – if you’re committed to looking after your hair in lockdown but still want to create salon curls at home there are a variety of methods you can use to create heatless curls! All you need is a little bit of patience. Heatless curls can be created in a number of ways. When your hair is wet you can place it in traditional rollers, twisted foam rollers, or wrap the hair around your finger to create a curl, pin to your head and allow to dry. For more natural waves, try braiding the hair loosely while wet and remove when the hair is dry. Many people choose to do this before bed to wake up with the heatless curls of dreams.
- Au Naturel – it’s not as if you’re going anywhere…why not try embracing your natural hair during lockdown? Not only will this help to reduce the amount of damage inflicted on your hair but it will help it to become more manageable in the future. Who knows, you might even start to like wearing your hair naturally!
If you have hair extensions, check out our blog post on the Best Hair Products for Extensions and our guide to Hair Extension Maintenance and Aftercare to find out how to keep your extensions looking amazing all the way through lockdown!
For more information or to book an appointment for when we reopen, get in touch!